Saturday, July 24, 2010

Jesus Freak...by Sara Miles

I just finished "Jesus Freak" by Sara Miles 
I really enjoyed "Take this Bread" which is the story of her conversion to Christianity. En nouche (or in a nutshell)  just by wandering into a church to admire it's beauty, she began to observe the service, and when people were invited to the eucharist, she went up...and when she tasted the bread, she got it.  Christianity was about feeding people. So she started or helped start, I can't remember which, a food pantry at this church, St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopalian church in San Francisco.

"Jesus Freak" is a continuation of this story....she weaves in stories about Jesus, and her experiences with life feeding and caring for people. 

I find myself a wistful after reading her words...she is truly the coolest Jesus Freak ever...and the hard work of working with poor people, homeless people, feeding them and loving them would, I think, make you get the gospel in such meaninful ways.  I know I would love ministry like that, in the city....even though I know it is hard.  I loved the women who homeless that stayed at the first church I served--every two months, they would be with us for a week, in a sort of traveling shelter, if you will....they were the richest weeks of my ministry.

My prayer today...is that I could find you, Jesus, waiting for me...tomorrow at worship...and everywhere I am called.  And if you want to call me to urban ministry work...hey, I am down with that. But for now, I want to see you and be you more where I am right now.  Make me a Jesus freak....
Open my eyes, that I might see....
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. really awesome. I'll have to read this book...and I think she started the feeding program.

    ReplyDelete