Wednesday, January 20, 2010

chicken procrastination.

Okay,
so...I really should be gathering an agenda for a meeting tonight, and finish up some other loose ends but why work so far ahead?

Back to chicken.

I cook for the dogs. First, it is more economical. Second, the less stuff added means healthier food, I think. Now, please note: I am a 90% vegetarian. I don't like meat, it grosses me out, and I have never craved it. However, if you invite me over to your house for dinner and serve me a piece of chicken cooked with love, I will enjoy it. Because, I want your love!!

For awhile, I was cooking ground turkey, because it was easy and not too gross. Then, I started to think about the hazards of ground meat, so I switched to boiling frozen chicken breasts. But then, how wrong is that? Chickens bred for their boobs? What about the rest of the chicken? So...this week, my conscience got the best of me, and I roasted a big chicken. Still not the best, humane choice because it wasn't free range, and the wings in proportion to other parts didn't look right, but it's the best I could do. Dogs are carnivores.

Picking apart the chicken about did me in. The dogs, however went nuts. They loved the skin. (yeewwww). Combined with some peas and brown rice---they have got it made.

I just wish there were a better way to live. I hate how our culture processes food--all food--the stuff in the grocery store. I wish I could do a Barbara Kingsolver and live off the land--well, I could if I chose to. That's not my point. I'm not sure what my point is--I am just amusing here....I just wish we all could (myself first) live more humanely and lightly on the planet, and with each other.

Thank you roasted chicken, for giving such delight to my animal friends.

God help me, help us, amen.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. (And try boiling instead, the meat will fall off the bones.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. And SB is right.
    The Scientist and I have gradually moved into mostly (about 90% for now) eating meat from animals that were truly free-range, raised naturally with care and love by small farmers. This means that we eat less meat than we used to, and that's OK too.

    ReplyDelete